VALUES EDUCATION CAMP “WE CARE!” 2018
The U.S. Embassy Vilnius and the Lithuanian Association of English Language Teachers (LAKMA) are organizing a week-long international VALUES EDUCATION CAMP “WE CARE!” in Lithuania for teenagers of various ethnic backgrounds from the U.S., Poland and Lithuania.
The camp aims to:
* promote cross-cultural dialog between ethnic groups within Lithuania, and with partners from Poland and the United States through the shared camp experience;
* foster human values, such as respect and responsibility, through discussion of universal human rights, media literacy, and inclusion of ethnic minorities, refugees and partner nations in this multicultural dialog;
* promote the English language as a tool to implement human values education by providing an intensive experience where English is used by students and teachers to discover new ideas and articulate their own ideas.
Time: July 16–22, 2018
Place: Dvarčėnų Dvaras on the shores of Lake Suvingio, Alytus region www.dvarcenudvaras.lt
Age of students: 14–15 years. In Lithuania – students who have finished grade 8.
The camp is FREE OF CHARGE for both students and teachers. All costs will be covered, including transportation (Vilnius Bus Station – Dvarčėnai), accommodation, meals, and educational supplies.
The Camp is sponsored by the U.S. Embassy Vilnius and organized by LAKMA with support from the Lithuanian University of Educational Sciences.
* US – Charles Wright Academy in Tacoma, Washington, host of the Global Teen Summit
* Poland – Gimnazjum im. Noblistów Polskich in Świdniku, host of the Holocaust Memorial Week
* Lithuania – 6 schools from different regions (1 teacher and 6 students from each school)
English teachers interested in working at the camp are invited to apply by June 1, 2018.
Please complete the online APPLICATION FORM: https://goo.gl/pZ1hQi
The six teachers selected for the camp will be contacted on June 8, 2018.
Selected teachers will be required to participate in a three-day preparatory workshop in Vilnius, June 25–27, 2018. All costs (travel, accommodation, and meals) will be covered.
* is a qualified teacher of English, with at least three years of experience of teaching teenagers
* (preferable) has experience using social media platforms (Facebook, Blogger, etc.)
* has permission of her/his school Principal to apply for the camp
* has sufficient knowledge of English (6+ years of studies, A2+ level according to CEFR)
* is interested in meeting peers from Lithuania, Poland and the U.S.
* has submitted to the Teacher a written parental consent to participate at the camp
WHAT ARE THE COMMITMENTS?
Selected TEACHERS are expected to:
* participate in a preparatory workshop, June 25–27, 2018 in Vilnius
* complete a home assignment before the preparatory workshop
* at the camp, work in a team with other teachers of English, counselors and volunteers
* organize educational activities for groups of students from ethnically-diverse backgrounds
* produce a written report about the camp to be posted on the school website / Facebook by September 15, 2018
*make a presentation about the camp for the school community
* submit a written report to LAKMA president by September 15, 2018
Selected STUDENTS are expected to:
* participate in camp activities throughout the week
* contribute to the written report about the camp to be posted on the school website / Facebook
* contribute to the oral presentation about the camp for the school community
The TEACHERS will:
* be working in an English-only environment for a week
* be working together with colleagues from Lithuania, Poland and the U.S.
* receive a stipend of 180 EUR to cover the working hours at the camp
* gain ideas on implementing values education at school
* develop their social media skills
* receive an educational certificate
The STUDENTS will:
* make new friends
* become better team players
* improve English skills through group activities
* meet interesting people, who have studied in the U.S. and guests from the U.S.
* live for a week in a beautiful environment, spend a lot of time outdoors and eat healthy food
* receive a certificate of participation