VALUES EDUCATION CAMP “WE CARE!” 2018
The U.S. Embassy Vilnius and the Lithuanian Association of English Language Teachers (LAKMA) are organizing a week-long international VALUES EDUCATION CAMP “WE CARE!” in Lithuania for teenagers of various ethnic backgrounds from the U.S., Poland and Lithuania.
The camp aims to:
* promote cross-cultural dialog between ethnic groups within Lithuania, and with partners from Poland and the United States through the shared camp experience;
* foster human values, such as respect and responsibility, through discussion of universal human rights, media literacy, and inclusion of ethnic minorities, refugees and partner nations in this multicultural dialog;
* promote the English language as a tool to implement human values education by providing an intensive experience where English is used by students and teachers to discover new ideas and articulate their own ideas.
Time: July 16–22, 2018
Place: Dvarčėnų Dvaras on the shores of Lake Suvingio, Alytus region www.dvarcenudvaras.lt
Age of students: 14–15 years. In Lithuania – students who have finished grade 8.
The camp is FREE OF CHARGE for both students and teachers. All costs will be covered, including transportation (Vilnius Bus Station – Dvarčėnai), accommodation, meals, and educational supplies.
The Camp is sponsored by the U.S. Embassy Vilnius and organized by LAKMA with support from the Lithuanian University of Educational Sciences.
* US – Charles Wright Academy in Tacoma, Washington, host of the Global Teen Summit
* Poland – Gimnazjum im. Noblistów Polskich in Świdniku, host of the Holocaust Memorial Week
* Lithuania – 6 schools from different regions (1 teacher and 6 students from each school)
English teachers interested in working at the camp are invited to apply by June 1, 2018.
Please complete the online APPLICATION FORM: https://goo.gl/pZ1hQi
The six teachers selected for the camp will be contacted on June 8, 2018.
The list of students will have to be submitted by June 15, 2018 to LAKMA president Eglė Petronienė: email@example.com
Selected teachers will be required to participate in a three-day preparatory workshop in Vilnius, June 25–27, 2018. All costs (travel, accommodation, and meals) will be covered.
|WHO CAN APPLY?|
* is a qualified teacher of English, with at least three years of experience of teaching teenagers
* (preferable) has experience using social media platforms (Facebook, Blogger, etc.)
* has permission of her/his school Principal to apply for the camp STUDENT profile:
* has sufficient knowledge of English (6+ years of studies, A2+ level according to CEFR)
* is interested in meeting peers from Lithuania, Poland and the U.S.
* has submitted to the Teacher a written parental consent to participate at the camp
|WHAT ARE THE COMMITMENTS?|
Selected TEACHERS are expected to:
* participate in a preparatory workshop, June 25–27, 2018 in Vilnius
* complete a home assignment before the preparatory workshop
* at the camp, work in a team with other teachers of English, counselors and volunteers
* organize educational activities for groups of students from ethnically-diverse backgrounds
* produce a written report about the camp to be posted on the school website / Facebook by September 15, 2018
*make a presentation about the camp for the school community
* submit a written report to LAKMA president by September 15, 2018
Selected STUDENTS are expected to:
* participate in camp activities throughout the week
* contribute to the written report about the camp to be posted on the school website / Facebook
* contribute to the oral presentation about the camp for the school community
|WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?|
The TEACHERS will:
* be working in an English-only environment for a week
* be working together with colleagues from Lithuania, Poland and the U.S.
* receive a stipend of 180 EUR to cover the working hours at the camp
* gain ideas on implementing values education at school
* develop their social media skills
* receive an educational certificate
The STUDENTS will:
* make new friends
* become better team players
* improve English skills through group activities
* meet interesting people, who have studied in the U.S. and guests from the U.S.
* live for a week in a beautiful environment, spend a lot of time outdoors and eat healthy food
* receive a certificate of participation